Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Addiction

Everyone knows someone who has some kind of addiction, right? Well I never thought I would, but I do. It really gets to me sometimes. At times I just want to ignore everything about it, but I feel like I should be doing everything to stop it. So I try talking to them, but I have discovered that talking to someone who has an addiction is like talking to a brick wall. They never want to listen to anything you have to say. You may even get them to agree with you and say “yeah I have an addiction” but they still carry on with that addiction. So, they’ll admit that there’s a problem, but it means nothing to them. It’s just words that come out of their mouth. And you never know what they’re thinking or how they feel unless they talk to you. And even when they talk, nothing they say ever makes sense, because they talk in terms of an addict. At times they just say what they think you want to hear, just to satisfy you.

It’s always obvious to the person without the addiction that there’s a problem. As an outsider looking in on an addicts’ life, it’s awful to see what it does to a person and their surroundings. There’s so much struggle and battle with people involved, as well as with the person themselves. It’s all like a big game. I hate being a witness to addiction. All you can do is watch the addict destroy themselves slowly, but surely. I hate every minute of it. But let it be known that the only person that can help the addict is themselves. Nothing I do is going to make a difference. If anything, it probably makes it worse.

With any addiction, or any problem, nothing’s ever going to change unless the person admits there is a problem. That’s the first step in overcoming anything. And I know it can be embarrassing and then you’ll feel like a failure, because you’ve realized you’ve hit rock bottom, but maybe that’s what needs to happen. And I know that it’s hard to quit something once you’ve started, but it can be done. All you need is faith and belief in yourself and the willpower to pull through.

No comments:

Post a Comment